Monday, December 18, 2023

Testimony 2021-01

 Two conversion stories.  First, the easier one, the mind

I was raised Roman catholic. I studied and decided to be baptized based on simple faith that the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saint has the authority of priesthood whereas Roman Catholic Church had lost that authority via apostasy.

I have since learned that the true church is more than the just the priesthood authority.  The true church has the authority through divinely given priesthood keys.  This priesthood has power. This power source is through our righteous connection to God via prayer and fasting. 

I testify that in a grove in New York in 1820 that Joseph Smith saw and conversed with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.  The true and living church has been restored and led by prophets.  President Nelson is a great example of prophet preparing us for these uncertain COVID times with the recent changes

Through the sacrament we have just taken, we all can His Spirit with us.  I have had several instances where I have received revelation or felt the Holy Ghost.  These instances are anchors to my faith that I cannot deny.

As I read the Bible especially the New Testament, I notice that it is fragmented and incomplete. As I read the Book of Mormon, it is profoundly evident that the Book of Mormon is revelation from God to us in these latter days. The Book of Mormon is my favorite source for understanding the atonement.  In general, my understanding of scripture has developed but it is clear to me there is still much to learn from these sacred words. I doubt that I have understanding a millionth of the truths of those works

I have caught the vision of family history and temple work.  As a convert, I been blessed to be able to do part of the work for tens of thousands of people.  I look forward to meeting the saints, my family, ancestors and friends at the grand and glorious reunion at the morning of the first resurrection. 

The second conversion is much more difficult.  The heart. I started as hard hearted man, but slowly seemly to be changing at a snail’s pace. 

I am grateful for all the righteous examples I have been around.  I have learned that righteousness is possible. I am especially grateful to my wife who is and will be my eternally fellowshiper. 

Slowly through obedience, sacrifice, and service, this hard-hearted natural man has slowly changed. 

Years ago, I can remember doing all I could to minimize the time for catholic church on Sunday.  After many years, I make efforts to keep all the sabbath day holy.  (I kind of miss the three-hour block)

Ministering (or home teaching) is great example how to break a heart.  The natural man is prideful and selfish with full of excuses not to serve.  Whenever I had visited home, I find the service is really easy. 

There are times this natural man has learned that I can’t do everything.  In fact, the things that I try to do are full of errors and mistakes.  When it seems that I am in control, I am not.  There are times that I am broken down and in acts of desperation, I am humbled to put my trust in God. 

I can tell there is some change of heart in me because I have become more sensitive to kindness, gratitude, compassion, empathy, mercy, and forgiveness.  Stories years ago, wouldn’t touch me, but now if I hear stories with those elements, I become tearful (like my story now)

When I become a fully broken-hearted person, then will I know my conversion is complete (or perfect).

When I die and come unto Jesus Christ, my living advocate and redeemer, I expect to be on my knees bowing for forgiveness.

No comments: